Composers Who Have Been Unfortunately Overlooked: Mahler

I love music! Who doesn't.  Music is a language of endless creativity and expression.  Music accompanies and supports just about all aspects of life.   I think we all aspire to have a soundtrack to our life.  Music helps tell the stories of life.  Classical music is very well suited for this.  We are all faimiler with the "greats" Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Brahms, and Bach (The Lutheran champion).  Sadly many wonderful compositions and their composers have been overlooked by the general public.  Maybe we can change that.  



I thought I would share some of the forgotten's or overlooked, starting with my favorite.  Gustav Mahler.  Mahler happens to have been very influence in the changing tides of orchestral music during the early 20th century as the culture headed into modernity. His composition style blends the classic romanticism and modernism as he explored a style of music filled with emotion and suspense as Mahler explored writing with a 12 cord scale structure. Mahler's symphonies seem to have an almost theatrical approach to them, as you listen you will certainly hear his influence on music for the big screen. 

Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 2 is hands down my favorite musical composition of all time.  Seeing this performed live, which was also the first time I heard the music, was an unforgettable experience.  My husband intentionally told me not to listen to it before we went, as he had heard it before in class and knew how I would be captivated.  

Symphony No. 2  is also known as The Resurrection Symphony.  Which makes it an excellent choice for this time of year as the church heads in to Lent.  Enjoy! 



If you prefer you can listen here via Spotify.

Stay tuned as I will be sure to share more overlooked or forgotten composers and their music.  Please feel free to make a suggestion in the comments :)


No comments:

Post a Comment