A Tale of Two Spiritualities


Empowering words, so innocent and well meaning.  Charging me to reach out take the journey onward. Just step forward... pray.  The music plays and the lights dim.  God has a great purpose for my life.  He loves me.  Jesus just wants to be my king. God wants me to have His blessings.
I just need to...

Become what God wants you to be. Hear his voice.  Be his.
The words sound good, they are pleasing and inspiring.  Imagine what will be.
I'm on a journey.  I'm captivated.
Filled with the spirit (whatever that means... maybe one day I'll get it)

I'm on a faith walk. I can do all things...
Living the dream, an inward change... pledging that this is true through outward works of faith.
Can I measure up?  Are these works of my hands acceptable?

Life is good right now.  Easy breezy. I am blessed.
I feel so much more alive.
I sing out... I want to be set on fire.
Here I am. Send me.

The crowds are exhilarating... overwhelming...
I'm lost in them sometimes.
Am I known? Cared for?
I commit and recommit, filling out the card, the time and talent survey.
I clamor to the altar again then again.

I'm unique.  There is good in me.
All I have to do is proclaim it.  I only have to give up the bad and seek the good.
Be pleasing like Him, follow the example.  Be a Jesus freak.  Stand out.

God is my all in all.  I can reach Him.
The feelings of elation fill my soul.  I want to give Him my best.
Win others, shout it out, build the kingdom. Obedience brings me closer.

I journey onward.
It's harder.  I keep my chin up.
I can't keep up with the footprints in the sand. Is He carrying me?

I am looking for for the next new spiritual movement.
I need experience, relevancy, more pragmatic words to fill me up.
I journey from trend to trend.  Jesus take the wheel...please!
Think positively, try harder, serve, seek.

I open my Bible... what does it mean to me? How does it speak to my life?
If only I could feel His presence...
Pray harder they say... It's only a minor sore in my soul.
Let go and let God. Unite with His creation.
He loves you.  You just need to love Him back.

It's only a flesh wound. Deny the suffering.
They say that when I look back at the storm I will see the beautiful picture God is making.

Where is God?
Try harder. Find the cutting edge.

Perhaps the conversion didn't take?
The infection is beginning to ooze.

Be still and listen... I can't hear.

I'm not listening...

I am dust in the wilderness...





From dust I came from dust I shall return.
From death to life His Word brings me.

Out of the deep He calls.  "Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest."
The Word of life. My sins covered by the blood of the Lamb.
Daily washed in baptism.

Grace, mercy, peace...SALVATION... come freely from outside of me.
No longer do I have to muster up the feelings and works from inside myself.


I am brought to the foot of the cross.  I see my healing hanging there. For me.
For me he lived and died, rose and ascended.
What I can not do He did.
Fulfilling the law.  Fulfilling all things.
It is finished. The victory is won.


For me, the nails were pieced though His hands and feet.
Smitten, stricken and afflicted.
What a love, so unfathomable.

God made man,  Emmanuel... God with us... for me.
The Word made flesh. My savior and redeemer.
There is my healing.  There I see. There is my refuge and strength.

I am nothing.  I am His.
He has called me His own though water and Word.
He gives me faith to trust Him.
To love him.

Jesus is my advocate with the Father.
He brings back the lost.
He yokes me to himself and bears the weight of my burdens.

He gathers me though His Holy Spirit to receive His free gifts.
Words of forgiveness, comfort, promise, wine and bread. His body and blood strengthen, fortify, and preserve me in the one true faith.

When suffering comes, He is there, suffering with me.
He weeps at brokenness and death.
He prays for me.  The Sprint groans for me.
His Word comforts me.
Jesus is the light in the darkness.

I am grafted to Christ my Savior.
He is the vine, I am the branches.
His Word produces good fruit, love, gentleness, patience, kindness.
I am free to serve my neighbor.  His Word guides and teaches me.
To God be the glory.

God is faithful and just, I confess my sin, and the pastor proclaims forgiveness.
I am renewed again and again.
Fully justified and sanctified.
From death to life.
My heart rejoices in God my Savior.

My eyes have seen my salvation.
By His resurrection, comes the hope of my resurrection.
He promises life eternal.
A new heaven and a new earth.
There will be no crying there.

I depart in peace.
In heavenly rest I come into the arms of my redeemer.







No comments:

Post a Comment