On My Way

So I am well on my way to Slovakia. I have felt a multitude of emotions today. Saying good-bye to my family was hard. It's hard to let go of the mommy control freak side of me and leave the kids in the care of others. I must have advised for them to not do anything dangerous about five times or was it twenty. My patient husband reassured me they would all be fine and very mindful. It's hard to let go of my dearest love also. When you share a one flesh union distance can certainly be felt. I cried when I said farewell, giving lots of hugs and kisses. And I will cry when I see them again. 


Leaving my family does make me a bit trepidatious. Fear is a funny thing.  But that fear is calmed with the knowing that God in his great provision takes care of his flock, even the little flock of the Wagner family.  Though the parting was difficult it is wonderful that they are so supportive and excited to send me off teach and share the love of Christ with others. 

Well parting is such sweet sorrow, the convienecce of modern technology helps bridge the gap between us. It's been fun to share two phone calls with the kids, and multiple texts with Matt as he is at work. Talking on the phone to your own children is an adventure in it's self. Ironically it teaches you different aspects about their personalities. And you can giggle when your six year old is to distracted to talk be use he is watching Bye-bye Birdy.  In a sense this has pulled us closer together, as my family lives vicariously though me. 

Now I like to travel, I like the way it kind of breaks down my personal bubble, allowing me to see the world differently.  I appreciate this situation as I realize that I am not so unique in traveling alone.  A lot of people do this on a daily basis.  I also like seeing other parents with their kids, traveling can bring out the worst in families, but then it is such a joy to see so many happy families going along their merry way busseling with excitement in search of summer adventure.  

On the flip side, flying is not quite my cup of tea. It's has been nearly ten years since my last flying experience.  But at least TSA was easy and did not live up to the horror stories I've heard. I will admit I shead a tear or two as my first plane assented into flight.  My knuckles were white as we landed.  I think I will do better on my second flight. I hope anyway.  

I have enjoyed my long layover. It really has been a pleasure. I like Dulles and the D.C. area in general.  The service industry is always so freindly and helpful. I have also found it to be a time of solace, after I navigated my way from one gate to the next. That was a workout. These hours have been present as I enjoyed the alone time, a pretzel, some soup, and reading a good book.  Friends if you have not read House Of Living Stones, I encourage you to drop everything and go read.  http://www.cph.org/p-26189-house-of-living-stones.aspx. 

All in all as I get ready to climb on plane two, I am overjoyed and comforted in the knowledge that I have so many people praying for me, the mission, and the kids at the camp.  

God's blessings. I will countine to update.  


No comments:

Post a Comment