Travnice: Slovak Music

Getting to know the neighbor you serve can be a very hard task.  Learning about a culture before you actually go to a place is quite a bit more difficult, especially if the history is complicated.  As I prepare for my mission trip to Slovakia, you can read more about it here, I am trying to get to know the neighbors I will serve.  Of course, I won't actually know anything or anybody until I actually get there and get to know individuals. But in an effort to be able to understand and connect with those I serve I am attempting to prepare myself with travel guides and Youtube videos.

Human connection is precious indeed.  We all need it.  However, these connections can be challenging to establish. Our self-centered sinful nature and clumsy ways can make for some awkward moments. But we have a few things that are wonderful universal connections.  These things transcend culture and time.  

The Gospel
First and most importantly is the Gospel. The good news of Christ binds us in forgiveness to Himself but also to another.  In Christ, we are free to love and serve each other in spite of our differences. 

Food
We all need to eat. Eating together is a great way to get to know each other and foods have a fantastic way of helping us understand each other.  When someone cooks good food for you there is a bond of acceptance between both the giver and the gracious receiver.

Music
Music is a language all it's own that has the ability to connect people of all ethnicities and all ages together. One of the first things and perhaps the easiest thing to learn about different cultures in their music.

Naturally, as I am musical, one of the things I have been enjoying as I prepare for my trip is listening to music. So I thought I would share some of my favorite finds.

I love the depth of Slovak folk music, with familiarness to Hungarian and Celtic folk songs, but then also there is a strong German influence as well.  Folk music is great in the way the tunes tell the stories of the people and the land throughout the ages.  It gives an insight to the world as it was while still teaching about the of the world around presently.  I also love the sound of the Fujara, a type of shepherds flute, the national instrument of Slovakia.

Enjoy!!








No comments:

Post a Comment