Fall Weekend Musings, Pumpkin Patches, Planes, Hikes, Yard Sales, And Other Fun Times

I love this time of year.  The cool fall weather, a slower schedule, and fun times with family. Each season of the year offers great opportunities for family memories.  I am just particularly fond of October weekends in Florida.  Of course being in the south we don't have that rich fall feeling, so much of it has to be fabricated with imported decorations.  But it still is a lot of fun.  Boy is it nice to open the windows up and let in the breeze!

This autumn has been extraordinary,  offering ample amounts of family time over the weekends. An Oktoberfest, time with grandparents, and reconnecting with friends has made this fall very pleasant.  One Saturday we headed out to one of my favorite little places, Maple Street Biscuit Company, down in Jax Beach.  It a great gathering place offering a rustic feel and a flaky biscuit topped with chicken, fried goat cheese, and pepper jelly. Yummy.  The maple bark coffee is golden! I just love it.  My quest for the best cup of coffee starts and ends here. I love this place on Saturdays for the friendly crowd.  From there we hit up a fall festival. The kids enjoyed the climbing on the fire truck, wondering through the pumpkin patch and bounce houses.

We continued our day out and about with a quick stop at the new Trader Joe's in town. What a fun place.  It can be chaotic sometimes, but I thoroughly enjoy shopping as a family.  We picked up some stuff for dinner and continued our quaint day after dropping the groceries at home.  The day was perfect for a short hike.  It's amazing that we can escape the sounds of the city suburbs at our local arboretum.  I will have to write a separate blog on this place one day.  It's enjoyable to let the kids lead the way down the rugged trails while my husband and I enjoy hanging in the back for a lively conversation. It's amazing to observe the curiosity of kids as the notice all the details of nature.  They love to explore.  The day was simple and beautiful.  



This last weekend was also just as wonderful and full of sweet memories.  Much of Saturday was spent hitting up some yard sales.  We did quite well for ourselves and came home a nice pile of loot.  We did find a few things we needed too.  I also learned a valuable lesson on deal making, always count how many items are in a pile before you make an offer.  Yes, I managed to swindle my own self out of $1.75.  I came upon a pile of very new calendar kitchen towels.  Now these linen towels can be hard to come by, and the designs are nostalgically awesome.  Looking through the pile I just assumed there was at least $8-$10 worth there, I quickly offered $4 for the stack.  The lady (who was very nice) said she didn't know, in a rush I raised my offer to $5.  The lady sister, the owner of the towels, came out at that moment.  They took my offer.  None of us actually counted the towels that were originally priced at 25 cents (I'm sure the ladies were not trying to be dishonest)  As I counted the 15 towels in the car, my husband very lovingly pointed out that I had paid too much.  We had a good laugh.  I still feel as if I got a very good deal for the towels. Besides that the next house we stopped at was the kind of people that love to load cute kids up with stuff.  One kid walked away with a pilot's hat, and the other with a kid size beach chair. Not to mention the nearly new ski jackets we paid $2 each for.  Score! 
The fun doesn't stop there.  Now that the sequesters have been lifted, it means the Blue Angels and the air show are back. We had a blast watching the planes do their loop de loops in the sky!  Sitting in the van for a like an eternity to get out of the parking lot once the show was over was far less exciting, but a good lesson in patience none the less. 



This current season had been a heartwarming time. It's been filled with busy moments, sports, and homework, and new challenges.  Our family has turned into a different chapter as the kids continue to grow up (sigh). My husband and I grow closer together as well. I cherish the deep companionship with have together.  Our family vocations are such a joy.  There is no other person I would want to share this life with.  We have been so richly blessed.  I look forward to more of this season as we approach Thanksgiving. 

I can't tell you how much I love the rhythm of the autumn.  It's sweeter than a pumpkin spice latte.  The church year just adds to it.  The liturgical calendar is so rich and robust as we move through the end of Pentecost, thorough Reformation, All Saints Day, various other feast days and into Advent.  As we look to Christ holding fast to His promise of forgiveness, life, and salvation.  It marvels me how week in and week out this life in Christ shapes our lives together in times fun and cheer, but in times of sorrow as well.   We are most abundantly loved by our amazing God. 



Thanks for stopping by! What's your favorite thing about this fall season?  Leave your comments below. 



1 comment:

  1. I love the cooler weather, changing leaves and heading into Advent :)

    ReplyDelete